At some point or other, almost everyone needs a tutor. Even the brightest kids may have one troublesome subject, or maybe they just need a little extra boost to get the higher grade and get into the college of their choice. With the fierce competition to get into good schools, a little tutoring may be just what a student needs.
How does tutoring help?
- Provides specific help to an individual student in a one-on-one basis or a small group setting.
- Allows the student to learn eagerly and effectively by giving the full attention needed to master the concepts the student is struggling with.
- Promotes the learning of problem-solving skills and the retention of the material by answering individualized questions rather than giving answers.
The benefits of tutoring stay with the student long after passing the class. The specialized attention and the teaching methods learned will make the student more prepared for higher education, and give the ability to become successful in whatever field in the future.
Will my child benefit most from individual tutoring or team tutoring?
The first step in the tutoring program at Smart E. Pants Academy is determining the student’s gap. This is accomplished through a diagnostic test to identify the student’s strengths and weaknesses. The results of this test will be evaluated by a Doctor in Education who will then meet with the parents to make recommendations as to the specific child’s needs. At this point, the parents will decide on individual or team tutoring.
The team of professionals at Smart E. Pants Academy will then develop an Academic Success Plan (A.S.P.) specifically tailored to the student’s needs. The A.S.P. is designed to support the student in achieving academic stability. This plan will be implemented during the tutoring sessions and will focus on the areas of concern and needs demonstrated on the diagnostic test, and specific skills will be taught in order to ensure academic improvement leading to success.
Individual tutoring is done to help an individual get to the point at which he/she can become an independent learner by filling in the gap that exists in the content area.
Why choose individua tutoring?
- Offers more individualized, systematic, structured learning experience
- Provides greater congruence between teacher and learner, closer role model
- Improves academic performance and personal growth
- Improves attitude toward subject area
- Generates stronger effects than other individualized teaching strategies
- Motivates self-paced and self-directed learning
- Provides intensive practice
- Improves self esteem
Some students learn best in small teams where a variety of learning strategies are used to improve their understanding of a subject area. Each member of the team is responsible not only for learning what is taught, but also for helping teammates learn, thus creating an atmosphere of achievement. The tutor serves as a coach, as well as an instructor, as the students work through the assignment until all group members successfully understand and complete it.
Why use team tutoring?
Research has shown that cooperative learning techniques such as team tutoring:
- Promote student learning and academic achievement
- Provide greater congruence between teacher and learners in the group
- Improve academic performance and personal growth
- Improve attitude toward subject area
- Generate stronger effects than other individualized teaching strategies
- Motivate self-paced and self-directed learning
- Provide intensive practice
- Improve self esteem
- Increase student retention due to different learning styles in the group
- Enhance students’ satisfaction with their learning experience
- Help students develop skills in oral communication as they discuss possible answers and solutions to problems
- Develop students’ social skills